Through our interactions with the mothers that follow and support our Facebook page, we realized that there is still much work to be done in the Black community to improve our breastfeeding rates and make breastfeeding a viable option for Black women.
In November of 2014, we incorporated Black Women Do Breastfeed, Inc. into a nonprofit organization with the following mission:
• eliminate stigma against breastfeeding in Black communities
• educate Black communities about the importance of breastfeeding
• educate Black families on the elements of breastfeeding
• support Black breastfeeding families on their breastfeeding journeys
• increase the visibility of Black breastfeeding families in our communities
• improve the rates of breastfeeding in Black communities
As we join the many other wonderful organizations and advocates who are working diligently to support, educate, and increase breastfeeding rates in our Black community, we hope that we are able to provide the necessary resources that will help to make the vision of Black women breastfeeding normal in our community and that more of our babies will receive human milk to provide them with the best possible start in life.